12/29/2013

Not the Droids You are Looking For

When the semester was ending, the break ahead of me stretched out--it felt like a luxurious amount of time off, time I needed desperately off. Here we are with one week left of the break, and it feels like such a blip.

The first week off, Rick had off, as well, and we spent it cleaning, sorting, purging, from one end of the house to the other. Of course, we still have an excess of stuff, but at least it's neatly organized and displayed. We keep displacing books for our toy collection, though, having made some delightful acquisitions in the TMNT, Star Wars, Star Trek and Batman worlds.
 
 
The kids had some fun with mashups.
 
The cats got some much needed climbing perches, to all of our delight.
 
 
I had fun arranging stuff.
 
 
The girls worked on their art.
 
 
 (Lily's)
 
 
When we weren't working on projects, we went shopping, doing Christmas our way which means that everyone picks out what they want over several days and we enjoy it all as we get it, going about Christmas day the way the kids prefer, as if it were another day--an opportunity to play, watch movies, and enjoy ourselves.
 
 
We spent time watching the Star Wars movies, turtles cartoons, reading manga, especially Sailor Moon.
 
 
I spent this past week sick and slept a lot, but when I wasn't resting I joined in on the movie and tv watching and manga reading.
 
 
I also worked on some of the books I wanted to read, all dealing with viruses and plagues, throwing in some fiction to break the heaviness of hemorrhagic fevers. I've been working through Preston and Child, both their fiction together and separate.
 
I've got one week left before returning to work. More naps planned. More reading. More turtle watching and manga reading.
 
I think it's safe to say that the kids are enjoying their time with me home, and I'm feeling mostly blessed to witness how they are growing and blossoming into adolescents and are navigating spending all their time with each other.
 
They bicker a lot, but without a lot of heat. Part sibling behavior, part autism and the certainty of their positions. They don't tend to back down.
 
But that's a skill I'm still learning, too.
 
We test each other on quotes from our shows and movies, and watching the vocabulary and scripting develop with each other so that we have a code is deeply gratifying. A shared vernacular makes you part of the joke, an insider, someone with a place to belong.
 
 
 
 


Happy kids, which is what matters most.
 
 
 

1 comment:

Liz Ditz said...

Thanks for sharing your holiday, friend. Hope the next week is healthy and peaceful.