7/09/2012

Miserable Metformin Blues: Not At My Best

Diabetes, in case you weren't aware, is a pain in the ass.

I've been diabetic since 2002, did the insulin for six months and then got my weight down enough that I could control it by diet and, a-hem, 'exercise.' That worked pretty well until this spring when my blood sugar started to rise and has continued despite behaving and actually exercising (I'm going to have to exercise more). Three weeks ago, I started on metformin, and a week ago added in the morning dose. My blood sugars are averaging 151 despite the meds, the behaving, and the effort. Pisses me off.

The metformin has also, especially since adding the latest dose in, made me nauseated and forced a close proximity to a bathroom. Not a pleasant situation--especially since I still feel crappy when my blood sugar is running high, which it almost always is.

Yeah.

So that's where I'm at now. Dragging myself through the day, through work, and hanging out with my cat Mabel, in my bathroom.

Today I felt bad enough that I actually passed out facedown on my bed, my legs hanging off and was awakened by my daughters asking me why I was lying on the bed so funny.

Yeah.

Hopefully things will improve soon, but in the meantime, I'm a bit preoccupied. Funny how online stuff can fall to the wayside so easy.

It's a reminder, in a way, that when our kids don't feel well, they, too, are going to have a harder time making it through each day, getting everything done, responding appropriately. If they're hurting, if they're tired, if they're feeling mentally foggy, everything else is going to be impacted. That's true for each of us, and I'm betting a lot of us are tired, worn out, and just flat-out not at our best on many a day. It makes for thornier interactions, so next time, when someone does something that strikes you wrong, maybe if you stop and wonder if he or she is going through some of the same issues and feelings as you, you'll respond with understanding and give the person a break. God knows we could all use a little more of that.

No comments: