1/05/2012

Home Again, or Chasing Frankie around trying to give him meds


Frankie boy is home again and he and I are much happier now that we're together again. He slept on my chest last night and when I moved to the couch because of my back, he followed and curled up in my arms. Boy, how I missed that in the two days he was at the vet. It messed with my sleep to have him gone.

Twice a day I get to chase him with a syringe of antibiotics to somehow squirt in his mouth and then get him to swallow it. It's a heck of a dance, one we had just finished shortly before the infection put him back at the vet. It's one I'm fixing to do this morning, terrified at the thought of the infection occurring again. His vet bills in December and this month have totaled two car payments, and without my dad's ability to loan me the money for this last vet bill, I shudder to think of what we would have had to do. So here's hoping this time's the charm. We replaced his litter box, dumped and scrubbed the other boxes. He's got his prescription food, and I'll be watching him like a hawk and encouraging lots of water drinking. 

Trust me, I've been there with the UTIs way too many times, enough times that I'm on maintenance antibiotics and have been for a year now. I'll do whatever it takes to help Frankie avoid that misery again.



7 comments:

Clay said...

Comet really loves "tuna juice", (water drained from a can of tuna), and Mooncat used to also love water drained from a can of corn. Couldn't get either of them to drink from a little bowl of water next to their food. Comet likes to get his water from the kitchen sink, so I keep a saucer in there and freshen it often.

Clay said...

PS. I'm glad Frankie is better.

K Wombles said...

Thanks for the ideas on ways to get Frankie extra liquid--I'll give them a try.

:)

Clay said...

Please let me know. I think most cats would like tuna juice, and some will like corn juice.

(Make sure the tuna is packed in water, and not oil.)

K Wombles said...

Clay,

Frankie drank up all the tuna water--thanks! I'll give it to him regularly.

Clay said...

I'd be interested to know if he likes corn juice too. Mooncat did, but Comet won't touch it.

K Wombles said...

No to the corn juice. :(