12/22/2011

When Little Girls Sing

The other day, the kids and I were on the way home from picking Bobby up at Meals On Wheels, and we were listening to music on the ipod that Rick has set up in my car with his and the girls' favorite songs. Now, I don't know where they find all of this music; I don't listen to the radio, don't keep up with contemporary music. Occasionally, I'll really listen to one of their favorite songs and take it apart, like the song Boston.

Most of the music they like is almost melancholy, and I believe it's the music, the melody, rather than the lyrics, that appeals to them, but every now and then I am floored when I really listen and try to pick out the actual words.  Most of the time, I'm only playing it to drown out the ringing in my ears. The girls were singing along to this song called "Come on, Get Higher." Oh dear God in heaven, is there anything less appropriate for an eight year old and a ten year old to sing than this? And they were doing a beautiful job, too.



I miss the sound of your voice

And I miss the rush of your skin
And I miss the still of the silence
As you breathe out and I breathe in



If I could walk on water, If I could tell you what’s next
Make you believe, make you forget



So come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire in the swing of your hips
Just throw me down hard
And drown me in love



So come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire in the swing of your hips
Just throw me down hard
And drown me in love



I miss the sound of your voice
The loudest thing in my head
And I ache to remember
All the violent, sweet,
perfect words that you said



If I could walk on water, if i could tell you what’s next,
make you believe, make you forget



So come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire in the swing of your hips
Just to throw me down hard
And drown me in love



So come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire in the swing of your hips 
Just to throw me down hard
And drown me in love



I miss the pull of your heart
I can taste the sparks on your tongue
I see angels and devils
And God
when you come on 
Hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on - HOLD
Singing shalala la
Singing shalala lala
Ooooooo
Ooooooo
Oooooooooooooooo



Come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire in the swing of your hips
Just to throw me down hard
And drown me in love



So come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire in the swing of your hips
Just to throw me down hard
And drown me, drown me in love



(come on get higher, loosen my lips)It's all wrong
(faith and desire at the swing of your hips)It's all wrong
(just to throw me down hard and drown me in love)It's all right



So, come on, get higher
Come on, get higher
'Cause everything works love
Everything works in your arms



Is it a gorgeous song? Absolutely. I love it, even more after really hearing the words. Is it appropriate for Lil and Rosie? No way. I'd have never willingly picked this as a song for my daughters to listen to. And if Rick had really heard the words? No way.

"The swing of your hips" from these babes?


 If there's any doubt about the intent of the song, listen to the songwriter explain (not appropriate for children):




"I always wanted to write a song that people could have sex to."

He did, absolutely. Not okay for kids, though.  Rick will redo the ipod and make a kid friendly version without this song because I seriously don't ever again want to hear my sweet girls singing these words, no matter how prettily they sing it:

Come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire in the swing of your hips
Just to throw me down hard
And drown me in love.



1 comment:

farmwifetwo said...

http://dearauthor.com/features/industry-news/thursday-midday-links-13 Just an FYI... in the middle.

I don't listen to the radio either but I know the elder hears stuff at school. I find it amazing how little adults and children actually listen to the words of a song. Maybe it's b/c we've tuned them out???