11/17/2011

I'd rather...

I've got a serious case of the I'd rathers. I suspect most of my students feel the same way about now in the semester. This morning, as I sit in my recliner in the just-now emptied house, I'd really rather climb back into bed and go back to sleep. I'd rather snuggle in the covers and wish away the last remnants of this cold away. I'd rather not put on the walking boot, too, so that might have something to do with it.

I've got a lot of I'd rather nots. I know my students do, too. We're tired. We've worked hard for thirteen weeks, and we're ready for the end of the semester. Maybe not the end of our time together, though. I was blessed with great classes this semester, students whom I've come to know well and care for, and we have a great deal of fun being in each other's company. No way I want that to end, but I'd rather the endless stack of papers end for a time.

We've got two regular weeks left (and next week is just two days). We're mentally done, calling it quits, and yet we're not at the finish line, and we've work to do. So even though I'd rather cancel the day and go back to bed, I won't, because in the end, I'd rather be with them to see what silliness we can bring to the day, what new thing we can learn together, and because...I've got another stack of papers to take up (although I'd rather skip that part).

1 comment:

farmwifetwo said...

I'd rather.....

I have a list and it doesn't include autism anywhere on it...