10/08/2011

Hey! Random observations about fecking twonks and life in general


Some observations after a very long week:


  • Fecking twonks who are passive aggressive fecking twonks are kinda amusing, especially when they're trying to annoy you by commenting elsewhere about you in cryptic form. Said fecking twonks can shove off, though. :) Except when they can't because they're obsessed with you. Sad fecking twonks. Sad, sad, sad. I pity you.



  • Having a cat coughing and trying to hack out a hairball while perched on your shoulders is not a fun experience, probably not for the cat, and definitely not for me.



  • Believing that the key to writing better is writing a lot and then correcting that work means I have to read and comment (and grade) a lot of papers, and when the real world interrupts, it means I get behind. I don't like being behind, and I like even less having a massive pile of papers to grade, knowing there will be another massive pile come Monday. I see no other way, though, to help them get better at writing. It's a catch-22.



  • Miscommunications between well-intentioned but busy people who aren't able to speak face-to-face can create huge clusterf*cks, but working through it and believing in the good intentions of all parties is key to resolving those miscommunications.



  • I am blessed with wonderful people in my life, and the more I reach out, the more wonderful people who are added to it. It hurts like hell to lose those people, but it is worth the effort.



  • If I were Michael Shermer and I read that I was referred to as a science writer by David Eagleman in Incognito, when I had bachelor's and master's degrees in psychology and a PhD in the History of Science, I'd be feeling dissed. And pissed. Not that there's anything wrong with being a science writer, but that limits Shermer's contributions significantly and inflates Eagleman at Shermer's expense and that's bullshit (I'm reading Incognito to review). I was liking the book, especially how easy it would be for laypeople with no prior experience with the field to read it, as it is surprisingly jargon free, which can not be said of Shermer's much more complicated and intricate Believing Brains.




  • Apparently, I can be nit-picky and pissed about things like that overnight. Either that or it works as a distraction from that pile of papers to be graded.



  • Saturday mornings you're supposed to sleep in. I guess I did. I got up at 6 instead of 5:30. Joy.



Happy Saturday, people (even you fecking twonks who whine and kvetch and moan and can't even get basic facts straight).

8 comments:

Jean said...

I feel your pain, and I want a twonk XXX

kathleen said...

hee hee...happy Saturday indeed! Thoroughly enjoying life off the grid ( so to speak) :)

Moonbeams and Eco-Dreams said...

Good Morning Kim. Sorry about the fecking twonks. I am amazed that is still going on. Lives people! You are a wonderful, giving person. I'm glad you don't let fecking twonks change you. You remain an inspiration to me. :)

melbo said...

Totally great - I have a new word "twonk" and I know just the person to apply it to.

And you have my inability to lie in too it seems. It's a curse.

melbo said...

I forgot to add, the cat's expression in the first photo ... gold, just gold.

KWombles said...

Twonk is an excellent word. The more you say it, the happier you feel. :-)

melbo, it looks so much like she was saying hey I had to use it; plus, that was definitely getting at when she ran towards me last night: hey, pay attention to me!

farmwifetwo said...

My kid hasn't gotten up at 5am in a couple of weeks... until this morning... sigh...

Thanksgiving wkend here... and unlike Kathleen I haven't been living "off the grid"... should, but haven't... btwn the RL twonk and the online "I'm owed, I'm owed, I'm owed and you should cater to me" whining....

It's been a fun few weeks, and definately a fun filled couple of days.

KWombles said...

Moonbeams, your comment got lost for a little bit, sorry for the delay in posting it. Thanks for the kind words.

fw2, I wish they'd sleep in! sigh...