6/05/2011

Sunday in West Texas

It's H-O-T here and dry. Anything not watered frequently is drying up, browning:


Spots of color are still there, but not like it was a few weeks ago. The hollyhocks and bachelor buttons are done. The roses are few and far between, too. As are the lilies.




I love how thistles which hurt so can make such soft, silkiness when they are done.


Sure, there's still the prickles at the edges. It's not ever going to be a flower you hug.



Ladybugs are still plentiful, and the whole in the leaves show that katydids, grasshoppers, and caterpillars are finding plenty to eat.


Glory in the midst of scorching heat:



If you are bored, you can always wade through the comments at the article that keeps on giving. Such positive vibes from the other side. It warms the cockles of my heart, it does. :-)

4 comments:

K- floortime lite mama said...

adore these pics sooooo sooo beautiful

K- floortime lite mama said...

wow the comments on the article- there is a lot of anger there - hope you are feeling okay

Kim I really dont have any sides - except I am not on the side of the extreme crazies like Jenny McCarthy- we are vaccinating -

But do you have an article that explains what the scientific side's explanation is of the epidemic - would love to read your POV

KWombles said...

I'm okay, thanks. It's certainly interesting, and I'm sure from their end they think it's justified.

I'd have avoided most of the exchanges if I hadn't recognized the two most recent individuals.

I'll look through what I've written and see if there is a piece that's specific to that, but a shorthand of what I think based on the research is that some is explained by diagnostic substitution (preference for autistic over mental retardation), expansion of the criteria, and better screening. The research suggests that this does not account for all of it, and it is known that environmental influences can play a part.

In addition, advanced parental age and IVF may play a role. And while the recent pollution study got flack, it's an avenue that deserves further attention.

Scientists still have a lot of work to do in discovering all the causes of the various autisms.

What gets to me, if any of that muck really does, honestly, is that people on the extreme other side make decisions about me based not on what I actually write but the strawman positions they put forth.

K- floortime lite mama said...

I see your point
a complete yes to this
A couple months ago - I did a post on "why I dont hate autism " and I got several very angry comments which assumed I was a neurodiversity type thinker - which was not the point I was making
"What gets to me, if any of that muck really does, honestly, is that people on the extreme other side make decisions about me based not on what I actually write but the strawman positions they put forth"