6/21/2011

In Which I Mock a Song That Won't Get Out of My Frakking Head

First the way I hear it in my head, thanks to repeated watching:




Now, the full lovely song by Augustana (whom I have no idea about, never having heard their name before this morning when I started pestering Rick for details about the song):




Because Lily has decided this is her favorite song right now, I've gotten to hear it enough times that it's my latest ear worm. Now, if you know me in the real world, you know that certain song lyrics and word choices drive me nuts. Take Shania Twain's "I want to know you that good." No, you don't. You really don't.  When it's not word choice or grammar errors or my love/hate relationship with Tracy Chapman whose songs often make me think she tried to match the music to the words after the fact and refused to bow to pressure to make them sync, it's other songs that if you did what was suggested, would lead you to possible death: "Jesus take the wheel."

At any rate, none of those are playing incessantly in my head. No. Today it is the song above. And not all of the song; just Leonard's little portion. You hear "you don't know me, you don't wear my chains" over in your head enough and you start to argue with it and question what the heck it means.

I'm years behind in listening to modern music; I don't know the new bands or artists, and much of the popular music mystifies me. Lily, Bobby, and their dad, on the other hand, hear snippets of music and go looking for the whole song and the artists and download them onto their mp3 players. I use my mp3 player for lectures.

Music and I have a complicated relationship; I tip over into sensory overload too quickly. I deal with tinnitus, frequent earworms from happening to hear a snippet of a song, and noise is a migraine trigger. Plus, it's noisy in my house on the quiet days and the competing sounds of electronics, of kids, of ringing in my ears, and I just can't handle the additional component of music very often.

You can imagine my delight, then, at having Leonard singing over and over again "you don't know me, you don't wear my chains." So I dug this morning, asked Rick who sang this song, and now I am trying to make sense of a name of Augustana for an artist/band? Who knows. Is it one dude or more? I don't know. Maybe it's a band since the youtube I pulled has several brooding young men in it. Never heard of him/them and am curmudgeonly enough to not dig right now because for some reason, this song is called "Boston" rather than "You Don't Know Me" or "You Don't Wear My Chains." Go figure. I took the additional step and pulled the lyrics since even though I listened to the song, it's obvious I'm missing some of the words. Why Boston?

I'm not sure this makes a bit of sense at all.
"Boston"

In the light of the sun, is there anyone? Oh it has begun...
Oh dear you look so lost, eyes are red and tears are shed,
This world you must've crossed... she said...
Okay, break up song, I get that. A sense of loneliness despite the daylight and the reality that we are usually surrounded in the busyness of the day.


You don't know me, you don't even care, oh yeah,
She said
You don't know me, and you don't wear my chains... oh yeah,
Chains? A sense of isolation. Usual female complaint that guys don't get women, but what's with the chains?


Essential yet appealed, carry all your thoughts across
An open field,
When flowers gaze at you... they're not the only ones who cry
When they see you
She said...

What? I can deal with flowers gazing at me. That's okay. But what's with the rest?
You don't know me, you don't even care, oh yeah,
She said
You don't know me, and you don't wear my chains... oh yeah,
Yeah, chains. It's catchy. Must be or it wouldn't keep playing over and over and over in my head, right?


She said I think I'll go to Boston...
I think I'll start a new life,
I think I'll start it over, where no one knows my name,
I'll get out of California, I'm tired of the weather,
I think I'll get a lover and fly him out to Spain...
Oh yeah and I think I'll go to Boston,
I think that I'm just tired
I think I need a new town, to leave this all behind...
I think I need a sunrise, I'm tired of the sunset,
I hear it's nice in the Summer, some snow would be nice... oh yeah,
Interesting and off-balanced rant in the middle of the "you don't know me." Okay, so she's complaining that he doesn't know her and won't wear her chains but she wants to go to Boston where no one knows her? And then onto Spain. Is that because the chain story got around, she's into S&M and no one will play with her? Did the writer choose Boston because old people like me would remember Cheers is set in Boston where everyone knows your name?


You don't know me, you don't even care, oh yeah...

Boston... where no one knows my name... yeah
Where no one knows my name...
Where no one knows my name...
Boston...
No one knows my name. 
No wonder the relationship is failing: she can't decide if she wants to be known or not. I wouldn't have called this song "Boston." I'd have called it "In Need of Therapy."

Rick texted me a song to listen to, so I'm off to google "Collide" by Howie Day and see if I can't knock this one out of my mind. :-)

6 comments:

Joeymom said...

Its probably a storyteller song, like many of the Sting songs- a specific scenario that you get snippets of, but the songwriter know exactly what he is referencing.

I find most songs by brooding young men aimed at brooding teenagers should be called "I Need Therapy". I noticed this was true even when I was a teenager. Selling to angst apparently sells.

Joeymom said...

And if makes you feel better, my current earworm- which is now several WEEKS old- is "It's A Sunny Day" by Taj Mahal (the theme to Peep and the Big Wide World).

kathleen said...

"You don't know me you don't wear my chains"...Jacob Marley's lament? I agree if I let Jesus take the wheel we'd be feeling a lot of hurt..Mine have the song "Dynamite" going all the time now.."I throw my hands up in the air some time sayin A O gonna let go"...Which I now go around saying a lot. Zoe on the other hand is really into Bob Dylan's "Blowin in the Wind"
I always play music in the hopes that over time they will develop good taste in it. ;0

farmwifetwo said...

I don't listen to enough music to be bothered... as you said with all the background noises the quiet is appreciated.

Although, like Joey's Mom I have an unending littany of children's show's theme songs that run through my head...

BUT... it does shut out the worrying... sometimes :)

Life as the mother of 4 said...

Boston was actually my song for two months two years ago when I was considering moving to Texas. I stayed in Boston. Man, I love that song.

autismandoughtisms said...

At night lately, when I'm trying to sleep and life is finally quiet, I've had the same little tune start up and go over, and over..:

"Peeeeppa Pig! Dum dum dum da da dumdy dum da da da Peeeepppa Pig!.."

Even as I type this, Peppa Pig is playing on the DVD.

*sigh*

I think I prefer yours :/