5/07/2011

Teacher Appreciation Week: Gratitude


Lucy checking out the girls' presents to give to their teachers.

The girlies work on thank you notes to give 
to the teachers.


This week was teacher appreciation week, a fact I'm sure most US mamas knew all about. 

The girls took their teachers chocolate and flowers (my idea of good presents), personalizing the bags and cards (which I should have taken pictures of). Each girl has a little stuffed monkey with huge eyes. Lil's is Blueberry and Rosie's is Razberry. They, at the ripe old ages of 9 and 7, finally have what we call woobies, that toy or stuffed animal that goes everywhere with them and where the world comes to an end when they lose one of them. Rosie decorated her card with pictures of her and Razberry and the teacher, and drew Razberry on the bag. Can I just say we have hundreds and hundreds of drawings of Razberry and Blueberry piled on bookcases throughout this house? I can't imagine it will be too long before they begin composing odes to their big-eyed monkeys: "Oh, Razberry, you purple-eyed freak of nature, your pink fur so pepto-bismally..."

We have been fortunate to have had some of the most wonderful teachers for the girls over the years; these woman are lovely, caring, dedicated, and they have always seen my girls as wonderful, bright girls capable of excelling. From the support staff and the therapists through the teachers and all the way to the principals, my girls have been cared for, appreciated, and helped to overcome their challenges. They have, most importantly, been understood and valued as individuals.

Under the loving guidance of these women over the years, my daughters have bloomed. They are shining. Yes, they have issues yet to overcome, but in this warm, accepting atmosphere, they have learned to get around those issues pretty well.

To the lovely teachers, therapists and staff who've interacted with my girls, and the principals who have guided my daughters for the last four years, thank you from the bottom of my heart.


Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!

No comments: