5/28/2011

Stories of All Kinds, Things We May Not Know, and the Significance of the Insignificant

It's one of those mornings where the dreams linger, their content coloring my mood, the headache not helping, either, and some of the stories of the week making me wonder about truth and about choices and about significance.

Every so often a story wanders our community, and we leap upon it in outrage at the injustice or fear at the what-if-it-had-been-me. Support is rallied, blogs written, facebook pages created. And then, as time passes, we find out more details, or we have questions, and we're forced with choices on what to do with the information. No good way to go, in terms of the personal consequences. People don't like their parades rained on, and they really don't appreciate it when they find out they've been duped or been offered an incomplete version. Maybe the support would have still remained had full disclosure been offered but once that moment has past and one's put forward that incomplete version, the self-justifying begins.

It's disappointing to discover when someone does that, lets people get worked up over an issue when there are key details left out. And nope, I'm not saying what the latest episode of it is as it's just a continuation of an old one, and if you know the details, you already know what I'm talking about. And if you don't you can probably think of a situation that fits this, and you'll nod in agreement, anyway. And if it's not one of those, you'll probably think I'm writing about you cuz you don't like me anyway.

...

Another thing that's troubling and happens more frequently than I'd like is when people who ought to know better, who are trained to be evidence-based, either buy into the woo or realize they can market themselves to those who do. It's a Ferengi trait, the desire for profit and more markets.

...

And now for the significance of the insignificant. We're all reminded of this upon occasion, chaos theory at work. We turned left instead of right, we went here instead of there. Two roads diverged sort of thing. If we really thought about it, recognized that lives are irrevocably altered on the most seemingly insignificant of decisions, would we not all be paralyzed with the fear of what the potential possibilities could be?

I think that most people must not see in their minds this immediate, often overwhelming diverging of potential outcomes when they're making a decision. I don't mean I do this on absolutely everything I think of, but a certain level of visual consequence mapping, of decision trees, does occur when I need to make an intentional decision, a projection cast forth that although I know it's only a mental projection, it's one I see, and I think, at times like this, that perhaps I understand some of what Temple Grandin says when she talks about thinking in pictures (it's just that I think she's probably wrong if she thinks there's no language overlaid on those pictures to give them meaning, even if it's unintentional language). And I wonder when my kids are paralyzed when offered choices if they have visual mappings of the potential consequences. And I hope both that they do and that they don't: please let them be spared the Stephen King visual consequence mapping system I seem to be hardwired with.

7 comments:

usethebrainsgodgiveyou said...

I voted all three reactions...

Visual Consequence Mapping System is a blessing/curse, I'd guess. My problem is I always see both sides to every story, and that causes me to stick with neither. I'm lost out here in lala land.

kathleen said...

yes...the Stephen King visual mapping..I think it is a curse many parents carry...Sigh..on the first part...

KWombles said...

:-) Rose, what, you don't like me? Nah, I kid. And I promise I wasn't thinking of you at all.

Hope you're having a pleasant Saturday.


Kathleen,

But maybe a curse that not enough parents carry or we wouldn't see some of the crazy things we see.

yup...

farmwifetwo said...

Don't know what the latest kerfuffle is in autism-land and don't really care.

Have Rose's problem of seeing all sides and in la-la land.

Lastly, NOT ALL WHO HAVE AUTISM SEE IN PICTURES. I HATE THAT MYTH!!!!

Visual prompts either words or pictures does not a visual learner make... I have 2 plus their Mother that do not "see in pictures".

Wanders off her soapbox.....

KWombles said...

:-) Good attitude on the latest kerfuffle.

nah, y'all aren't in la-la land; you juboth have the good sense to realize that in the immediate way of things in our personal lives, weighing in on it really isn't that important.

Yup, it's a myth that drives me crazy, too. We all "see in pictures" except maybe the blind, with varying differences in our ability to visualize. People who can't internally visualize in three-D make awful drafters, for example.

But that doesn't mean we think in pictures. I imagine, though, without language, we'd only think in images.

I have often wondered if this is an area where Grandin is both having difficulty in expressing how she thinks and is making the mistake of extrapolating her experience out onto everyone else with an autism label. It's unfortunate, that's for sure.

farmwifetwo said...

I have no doubt she can visualize things in 3D and colour. But I cannot. When I read, I read words, the scene is there but not tangible... hard to explain. My eldest is the same. Toss in the difficulty with auditory and visual recall and you have a reader that doesn't like to read but it's coming. What he cannot do is mirror images and 3D pictures in Math. Got 90%+ on everything else this term and C's on those tests... Not a visual learner.

It's also obvious with the younger. He loves words, absorbs words, he's annoying as he flips through our books more than his own lately. He likes listening to audio books and music... words... not pictures. The Teacher says he's stopped using writing with symbols and wants to type on Wordperfect.

Just told my youngest "don't touch" as he went to screw with the computer a moment ago as I tyeped this... and of course hadn't said "Hello" into the phone yet... Sigh... thankfully someone I knew.

farmwifetwo said...

Didn't finish the annoying thought... he keeps losing our places and taking out bookmarks...

He wants to play Tumblebooks... gotta go.