3/28/2011

Mondays Come Too Soon


(last week)

The wee one is fully covered by the blanket this morning, so last week's picture will have to do. She goes to bed early, and is generally asleep no later than nine, but 5:30 is still terribly early (and yet on the weekend, she's up at that time raring to go!), so every morning goes like this. She toodles out dressed and curls up on the couch under the blanket and goes right back to sleep. Her brother's being sweet and putting her socks and shoes on her while she sleeps. Won't she be surprised when she wakes up? (she didn't even notice; I guess now she'll expect to wake up with socks and shoes on?)

I understand her desire to just pull that cover up and shut the world out for a little longer; I really do. I had years of homeschooling and the chance to do that; after Rick was up at 5, when he was in the military, I'd do just that, pull the covers back up and sleep till seven or so and then the boy and I would spend the long hours together working to unlock math and reading for him; later the girlies were added into our routine. There were distinct advantages that I tried to hold on to and appreciate at the time so that when that time was over, I'd be able to look back and say I'd lived it fully. Still, the idea of sleeping in holds allure, even if the reality is that I don't even do that on the weekends when I can.

But back to sleepy girl and her ritual; Mondays are the hardest because the two day break makes it more difficult to move quickly and to adjust. Tomorrow will be easier on her, and each day after will be, too. There'll be less tears, less whining and shorter naps on the couch, and then we'll get to do it all over again come next Monday. One of these days, I'll join her on that couch! Of course, by then it will be summer, and she won't want naps on the couch, will she?

3 comments:

farmwifetwo said...

We could trade for the week. I'd get to sleep in, you'd get the one that woke up at 4am this morning. Luckily he stays in bed, luckily his bro has learned to sleep through the noise... he's not quiet first thing in the morning. WAY too chipper playing with his stuff toys, singing songs.... FWIW severely autistic children DO enjoy imaginative play.

Although I admit, like you little one, I wake up a lot easier on weekends and holidays than school ones. I wonder if it's as much dislike of being rushed as anything.

KWombles said...

:-) Yup, if it had been the weekend, she'd have been loud and happy. I think it's the lack of choice, too; the have-to that makes it so unpleasant, whereas weekends are for fun and what we want.

I hate alarm clocks so always wake up ahead of it so I don't have to hear it go off; if the girls would wake up on their own, that would be preferable, but that rarely happens during the school week anymore.

Yes, they do have imaginative play; it's just different. And I don't understand at those times why different is bad? Sure they use their toy kitchen as apartments for their stuffed animals rather than as a toy kitchen, but that's a rather interesting way to go, don't you think?

farmwifetwo said...

To make one of those long stories short... when we met the ABA people the first time for my eldest (they were here for my youngest), they informed me that imaginative play was 100% imagination. Therefore taking his books and making road, riding his bus around those roads, going to McD's, bank, library etc was NOT imaginative play. That was repeating what he has learned a form of echolalia.

My youngest does the same. He'll take his toys and "echo" things from books, tv etc. They are not the correct figurines either. A teddy bear makes a good Franklin the turtle.

IMO, this is imaginative play. Why is it ok for NORMAL children to pretend play house etc but ASD one's can't???