1/11/2011

On the Lighter Side: "Oh, That's big!"

I'm feeling a bit blue, so I'm going to share something with y'all that still has me chuckling when I think of it. We could use a bit of levity, I think.

My Rosie is the one who gets what things shouldn't be said and usually manages to avoid being too honest, but the other evening, the words were out before she could bite them back. She still needs help with bathing, so I was getting my shower with her; easier to do that way, instead of standing outside the shower helping and getting soaked in the process.

I was getting undressed, and I stopped for a moment, turned and bent over to adjust the heater in the bathroom and Rosie blurted, "Oh, that's big!" Ahhhh, hmmmm.

I turned back around and asked her, "What's big, Rosie?"

She said,"I don't want to say."

I'm more than well aware that to say I'm ample is a kindness, if you ken me. So I asked her, "What, Mama's boobs, belly or butt?"

She hemmed and hawed and said, "You won't like it."

My response: "I already know all three are, so which was it?"

"Ummm, your butt."

Hee, even recounting it here has me cracking up. It was such an unintentional blurt on her part, and she knew that the honest answer could get her in trouble (it didn't), but she trusted me enough to be all the way honest. And my feelings weren't a bit hurt. We need to be honest with ourselves about who we are. If we are, if we embrace our own reality, our bodies, our strengths and our flaws, a child's honesty can make us chuckle instead of cringe.

Bless her heart, though, she wasn't willing to tell her Grandma what she'd said. She's learning to navigate the world of home where complete honesty is accepted and not punished and the outer world where such honesty is often not welcome (my mom would have been fine with it; instead I shared the story, we all chuckled, and Rosie was reinforced that honesty doesn't result in negatives, not with the folks who love you and accept you).

I feel better now, having chased my blues away. I hope you got a chuckle, too. :-)

12 comments:

kathleen said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks for that...Kids are so freaking wonderful aren't they? Good for her-knowing the difference..and loving on you so much she didn't want to hurt your feelings..wonderful.

Liz Ditz said...

Oh, that's sweet. Growing!

Love reading about your blooming kiddos.

Corabelle said...

HAH! lol, I about fell out of my chair! Its soo good to know that I'm not the only one with an "Honest child" My oldest will always tell me when I have messy hair, need a shower, and of course when I was pregnant with Little Man she had a million embarasing questions. :) What is funnier is that If she does offend, she emediatly responds with "i'm not saying your but is big...but" like the start to a bad joke. xD

Life in the House That Asperger Built said...

LOL! That is funny! And sweet too..

Sorry you're feeling blue, hope it goes away soon. :-)

@jencull (jen) said...

Awwww, bless, that is funny and I love that honesty too :D Jen

KWombles said...

Kathleen, they are freaking wonderful! :-)

Thanks, Liz.

Oh Corabelle, I love the whole beginning of a bad joke thing. :-) too funny!

Laura, thanks. Ah, me too. Mostly it's gone, but it slips back and settles over me. Not to fond of those moods that linger despite our best intentions.

Hi Jen. :-) There's a lot to be said for always knowing where you stand with your kids.

Our Typical Life said...

That's so sweet! I'm pretty sure if my kids could talk, they would say the same about me!

(Visiting from Blog Gems blog hop.)

The Henrys said...

That's great! You never know what will come out of a kid's mouth! Love the honesty!!

Kelloggsville said...

Popped over from Blog Gems : what a quote "She's learning to navigate the world of home where complete honesty is accepted and not punished and the outer world where such honesty is often not welcome" fantastic clarity on something I have never been able to put into words myself.

Lizbeth said...

Love it! Such honesty. She's a lucky little bug to have the ability to be so honest and accepted. I'm still smarting over the kids tryng to bring in my "back fat" for show & tell...LOL

kathleen said...

They are still freaking wonderful!! heehee!

D. S. Walker said...

Sweet and funny! I love how you handle situations with humor!