1/18/2011

First Day Back: Can I Go To Bed Now?

If you don't think you get out of practice after a month plus off, well, trust me, you do. Oh, the teaching isn't hard. I can talk my arse off with nothing more than a glimmer of an idea, so filling the time with the particular topic at hand isn't a problem most days. Technology glitches are bothersome, especially when I've planned for them and tried to think of workarounds ahead of time. Nothing can fix the bad placement of a computer, projector and screen, though, so that in order to use the computer, I have to be in the middle of the projector screen blocking what I'm trying to teach. Got a wireless mouse to fix that puppy on Thursday since I can't move the equipment. 

What is hard, since it's not the teaching, what does get out of practice, is the getting up and getting out the door and the relative pacing of the day. Teaching fires me up, fuels me. I love it. I hate prolonged breaks, though, between classes as I have time to come down off that high. As we get deeper into the semester, though, those breaks will give me time to grade and prep, so I'll appreciate them then.

In the meantime, I'm gonna go to bed early tonight. Hee, if it weren't for three very dynamic, busy kids, and the commitment to finally watch Batman vs. Dracula tonight, I'd seriously consider heading to bed now. Lord knows, I could fall asleep now.

Happy Tuesday, people!

3 comments:

D. S. Walker said...

Kim,
Getting back on schedule is definitely hard. My daugther had been back for two weeks now and my son for a week and a half, but having the three day weekend made today almost as hard as the first day back after the break. I hope you get a good night's sleep.
Aloha,
Sue

Brenda said...

Just getting in the shower around here is a big deal. ;)

KWombles said...

Thanks, Sue. :-)

Brenda, I remember those days well.