12/19/2010

Wiieeeeeeeee!




Remember yesterday when I said the whole Wii in the same room with me might not have been my best idea? Well...let me tell you the swish of the controllers as they canoed was something else. So were the screams and colliding bodies a foot away from my recliner.

And yet, there is no more suitable place to have the Wii than where it is, and even if there were,  I still wouldn't have it anywhere other than where I am in the thick of their playing so that I can help (they both need help at times with the controllers and making the damned little all-over-the-frakking place hand go where it's supposed to) and supervise. They get so caught up in it that they need to be watched so that they can be directed to back away from the tv NOW! Lil's noted the scoring, although Rosie hasn't picked up on it yet. Lily's noticed because Rosie outbowls her. :-)

This is an excellent turn-taking tool; it's great for fine motor skills, about where one is in space, about attending to what one is doing. It is a win-win in ways that the PS2 and Nintendo 64 are not.

Just remind me of that the next time I post that they're driving me crazy. :)

4 comments:

Lavender Luz said...

First, I love your blog byline.

Second, we are about to have our 1st Wii anniversary. I was opposed to it, too, but then saw that I could do yoga on it (the last time I did was 11 mos ago, lol).

Lo and behold, though, it's been a good family activity for us, and the kids have learned and practiced the things you talk about -- taking turns, fine motor skills, letting mom win once in awhile.

Off to read your first post now.

BlogGems #8

farmwifetwo said...

We've always made them share a Nintendo DS... they die quicker that way and the one we have is on the way out too. So taking turns should be a minimal pissing match... they're siblings and siblings argue.

Keep it up and I'll be buying that Wii in the after Xmas sales... if I can find one. I like the idea of getting a fitness program for the "Mom" when kids are in school and it's cold enough I don't want to go outside.

kathleen said...

I hate that little hand thing too! *SIGH* it jumps around way too much..at first I thought it was me having drank too much coffee..but that could NEVER be the case. :)

KWombles said...

Thanks, Lavender Luz. :-) Yeah, I think I know myself well enough that I won't do the yoga; I have plenty of yoga dvds that haven't been used in years!


FW2, they've got a PSP that the three of them share; they do relatively well over it, considering. :-)

So far, loving the Wii--we're fixing to start our two week geek camp by using it to watch Walking with Dinosaurs on it!