12/05/2010

Nasty Business

The folks who run the AoA facebook page (of which Stagliano is one) are classy folks who are all about community building, as we all know. Above is part of the comment they've placed on their wall; I did not include the profile picture they did (and note they offer no substantiation that this random photo is indeed of the woman who tried to get the PSAs pulled --do they mean Elyse from Skepchick.org? Indeed they do.).

The commenters then launch into the typical attacks, in which Stag feels the need to post the following:


Yes, if  that were true, she wouldn't have left the comment that triggered this up there.

So, if we read their site and disagree with them we are "pro vaccine injury bloggers." If someone works to keep movie theaters from showing fearmongering ads designed to keep people from vaccinating, wolves are better for tending children than this person.



These folks are exactly who I'm talking about when I reference the fog and truthiness in my post last week. This is nasty business. Oh, and despite the attempts at revamping oneself as an autism advocate, there's not one bit of autism advocacy here. Despite assertions that she respects all parents despite what treatments they choose or what they believe about causation, that's not going on here at all. There may be a whole lot of truthiness going on here, there's certainly a whole lot of nastiness, that's for damn sure, but I see little truth, and nothing in the way of being supportive of the autism community.

That profile picture, despite the fact that it is publicly available, should not be on the AoA facebook fanpage. It shouldn't matter whether you agree with AoA or not; it doesn't belong there.

13 comments:

kathleen said...

yeah...sigh..If a quarter of the time and energy spent smearing someone where instead spent on demanding services etc. We would have so much more in the autism community...

KWombles said...

I know, and I feel I take away from doing that when I choose to write about them. Sigh.

What a disappointment, all in all, to read that thread. Some things have to be countered. And some things have to be flagged, too. I was relieved to see one fan comment that she disagreed with the thread.

Jen said...

*speechless* I just don't see the point of this kind of carry on, whatever happened to 'live and let live'?

Jen said...

That comment wasn't directed at you Kim, but at AoA!! Jen

KWombles said...

I figured, Jen. :-)

Liz Ditz said...

The Womble speaks, and people take action:

Respectful Insolence: The Age of Autism Counterattack Begins

I Speak of Dreams: Age of Autism Dips Back Into the Well Of Contemptible Behavior

lifewithasperger said...

@Liz, you might be adding a post from me to that list before the day is out. UTTERLY CONTEMPTIBLE! That's what I say.

@ Kim: If no one ever shines a light in the dark corners, bad behavior will go unnoticed and unchecked. Keep your flashlight on, Baby!

Emily said...

I want to note something interesting here. In the FB comment, there is a reference to "anti-choice." A few weeks ago, someone commented to me that the "vaccine wars" are as vituperative, nasty, and mean as the abortion wars, and I tend to agree. Here is their crossover. Why? Because the reference to "anti-choice" here is NOT about abortion but about "anti-vaccine safety choice," as confirmed in a comment on that thread by the AoA folk. Conflation, at last, but backassward. Feminism and reproductive choice are hand in hand, but for these people, making the choice to vaccinate means you're a bad mother.

Also, I'm heartened to see that at least a few people have come out to question the posting of the picture or something else reasonable.

Emily said...

And I looked at Elyse's picture. Here's what it said to me: This is a woman who is sure enough with herself to post something funny that does not--let's face it--flatter her looks in the least but that gets across a universal parenting experience, all in one pretty damned hilarious picture.

Sullivan said...

I keep thinking I am beyond being surprised by the Age of Autism blog and the groups it represents.

Science Mom said...

Holy crap on a cracker. I shouldn't be remotely surprised, and I'm not really, more disgusted. They are just going to get worse, given the cesspool of social networks they choose to exist in and the more marginalised they get. What is equally disgusting are their perspectives on autism and autistic children, which are clearly revealed in their hate-fests.

Sullivan said...

I took a look at the facebook page and the picture that Ms. Stagliano wants her audience to mock.

I am struck with a couple of thoughts:

1) I guess other mothers *are* supposed to be Mother Theresa?

2) I am reminded of last year's thanksgiving post by AoA, where they photoshopped people they don't like into a feast where the main course was a baby. Did they use a picture of one of their own children for that baby? If not, did they get permission from the mother of the baby's mother? They seem to taking a respect for the baby tactic on some of the comments.

Or, to put it simply: it is beyond ironic for Kim Stagliano to take on some one else and claim poor humor.

science-at-home.org said...

Don't forget to report the photo to facebook, click on it and bottom right there is a link. Enough reports and they will remove things.