12/19/2010

Did You Know This? And an Award!


Aspergirl Maybe bestowed the stylish blogger award on me (thank you very much). So to offer you seven things you don't know about me. Hmmmmmmmmm. And to pass this on to some other bloggers, too. Double hmmmmm.

It seems like they should be juicy tidbits that would surprise you to know, but I wonder is there any mystery left if you've read all my stuff? Maybe I have a few secrets.

1. I started reading my parents' books as soon as they put them down when I was around ten or eleven. That means I read Rosemary Rogers, Colleen McCullough, Kathleen Woodiwiss, and the like from my mom's collection and Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Heinlein, Larry McMurtry, Stephen King and more from my dad's collection (most of these books I still have, by the way). I read my grandmother's books, too: Victoria Holt, Phyllis Whitley, Dorothy Eden, and Mary Stewart. It was a heck of a start, at the tender age of 10 and 11. :-)



2. Speaking of which, The Thorn Birds was confusing as hell at that age. For years I had a mental image of a french letter that bore no resemblance to the actuality.

french%20letter%20condom.jpg


Taken from Hippy Shopper


3. Nancy Springer books were some of my absolute favorites as a teenager, and they were all my own. I didn't know anyone else who read them.




4. Gene Wolfe was huge for me when I was 16 and 17.


5. So was Stephen Donaldson. And remains so today.



6. I love everything Egyptian and am thrilled that the bright boy does, too. And I love that he likes science fiction best. We moved all my science fiction books except Star Trek to his room for Christmas two years ago. I gave him my happiest memories as a teenager.




7. I adore Star Trek. Okay, that's not a secret. But hey! I also love tea pots and stuffed animals. :-)





I award this to the following bloggers who are under no obligation to continue the meme:


Emily at A Life Less Ordinary?

Shannon at Squidalicious

Liz at I Speak of Dreams

Jenny Alice at Into The Woods, Living Deliberately

And, collectively to all of them at Thinking Person's Guide to Autism. :-)

9 comments:

Aspergirl Maybe said...

Oh my gosh, I love that you wrote all about books - one of my most favorite things!

Whenever I thought about having a child, I pictured a little girl who would love Laura Ingalls as much as I did. I have a wonderful son, but he just isn't interested, not even in "Farmer Boy."

Maybe when he's a bit older, we can try some science fiction.

erika said...

Congratulations :)

Springingtiger said...

Reading, it's what life's all about or vice versa.

Love the links personally I'd have added LeftBrain/RightBrain, Amalia Starr and JeffsLife. Oh and Hartley's Life with 3 Boys and....

kathleen said...

Good links..French Letters? HEE HEE!

TherExtras said...

I remember this post - must've not had time to comment that day. Having already established that you are vastly more well-read and a faster reader than myself - elsewhere on ONE of your blogs - I will now note 2 intersections of our reading-lives.

Our CollegeSon's reading history/upbringing was much like yours. Specifically, he and his father shared the works of Robert Heinlein - of which I only know about from their discussions of said books.

I am older than you and read The Thornbirds as a young adult. But for which I do not understand your reference here. Many years later, my interpretation of the story is vastly different, and no longer holds any infatuation with Richard Chamberlain. ;)

Barbara

KWombles said...

Aspergirl Maybe,

:-) Science fiction and fantasy are a blast.

Erika,

thanks. :-)

Springtiger,

yup, books are vital. Those are great blogs, too.

Kathleen,

hee--it's what's really stuck over the last thirty years, but that's probably because I was so incredibly off on what they were.

Barbara,

:-) I think I've got well over a dozen blogs, but several of them are photo blogs. I talk a lot!

There's a just a snippet where they're referred to: "French letters?" He grimaced. "I should hope not A French letter is like coming wrapped in a page of the ... How do you know about French letters, anyway?" on page 540 of the book (I google searched it). At ten or eleven, I had no idea what condoms were (or that french letters were condoms), so I got a mental image of a metal stamp with curlicued letters and had a heck of a time trying to figure out how that would keep someone from getting pregnant. It never occurred to me to ask my mom as most of the books they had no idea I was reading after them. :-)

jennyalice said...

Thank you for the lovely award. When I can think of 7 things in a row I will try to pass on the meme.

Happy New Year!
Jen

p.s. Hey Aspergirl Maybe I loved those books too!

Loz said...

Heinlein, Asimov, Clark and King - all favourites of mine that bring back great memories of the long ago.

I'm here from Blog Gems.

KWombles said...

Jen,

My pleasure. :)

Hi Loz! Thanks for dropping by!