9/30/2010

Bullying: Let's Find a Way to Stop It

It's what we fear for our children: bullies. The world is no kinder than it was when we were children; I'm sure we can all remember the bullies of our childhood, even if we were never a target.

The stories of children who have been bullied continue unabated, a steady trickle in the news for the most sensational or tragic of the cases, but most stories are untold, unheard, silent. Children suffer, and parents ache as they fight the school districts to take their child's story seriously. How many of us simply pull our children from the schools, bring them home and teach them ourselves? I know that the complete inadequacy of the school systems to properly educate and protect my bright boy led to my bringing him home to educate him, and I watch my girls like a hawk to see how they're doing at school (so far there's been no bullying of them, although there have been the occasional tiffs that kids have).

Emily at A Life Less Ordinary? makes a call to action, to do something about bullying. Let's. Let's put our heads together as community members, parents and individuals, many of us undoubtedly at some point bullied, and work together to say no more to tolerance of the cruel actions of bullies.

5 comments:

Corina Becker said...

yeah, I remember bullying. I remember coming home crying and not wanting to go to school the next day.

One time, I was pushed and fell in the mud. The teachers found me there, non-responsive. I didn't respond long enough that they were considering calling an ambulance.

My parents pulled me from that school, a public school that was barely acknowledged my then-only diagnosis of ADHD. They put me into a private school with absolutely NO special needs accommodations. Just to get the bullying to stop.

The irony then is that the bullying didn't stop, it just stopped being physical and took on more passive-aggressive and prankster-ish tone.

CharlesR said...

I was bullied somewhat since beginning school, but it got horribly worse in 5th grade on transferring to a Catholic school with a bus ride involved. The kids took seconds to size me up as an easy mark on the first day bus ride, and the bus became a torture chamber for me. Today I am 59 and still scarred by the bullying.

Clay said...

Official notification of Versatile Blogger Award. See my blog for details and requirements. ;-)

KWombles said...

Thank you, Corina and CharlesR, for sharing your stories.

I think one of the things that runs through the stories of people who have been bullied is how damaging it is, how the hurt is long-term.

We have to work harder as a society to believe collectively that this behavior is not acceptable and to teach compassion and acceptance at an early age. Half our battle is that the professions that deal with vulnerable populations also attract the bullies, so that children are not only victimized by their peers, they also face it by some of the adults in their lives who are there to protect them.

KWombles said...

Clay, thank you for the award.