8/02/2010

Default Settings

Have I ever mentioned how poorly I sleep? Don't many of us? In the wee hours of the morning, as everyone around me slumbers blissfully on, I think, I write in my head. I'm far too lazy to get up, put fingers to keyboard and write, so I write it as I lay on the couch, in the recliner, or in the bed, moving from one spot to the next as the night progresses. Sometimes, in the morning, it's still with me, these profound insights, these awe-inspiring ideas, and I sit and write as soon as I get up. Other mornings, only the faintest of whispers are left, or like this morning, the title, the theme: default settings. And I find myself trailing behind the whisper, default settings to what, exactly? Damn, I know it had to do with parenting, with kids, with some clever play on default settings...

Sigh. It was good, I remember that. Semi-profound, maybe. I think. Who the hell really knows, though? That was at 1:00 in the morning and there were three, four, five other wakeups between then and 7:00 this morning when I gave up and got up, and instead of starting writing, I sat first and read Kathleen's post, stopped by Heather's blog and read her poignant post about living after losing her daughter Samantha, popped by The Thinking Person's Guide to Autism and saw they'd posted Dr. Rob's post that AoA crapped all over, caught up on facebook statuses, listened to my son talk about vampires (he's reading a book on the mythology of vampires), and well, here I sit, with the little trailing tendrils of default settings fading away from me.

That's okay, though. It's been a good first hour to the Monday morning, and I've shared three links with you that are worth your time, so you should go read those. Maybe by this afternoon the default settings idea will have reached back out and grabbed me. If not, we know something will grab me at some point during the day and I will share that instead. :-)

In the meantime, I hope you have a chilling Monday.

2 comments:

kathleen said...

oh I know...how many times I have a thread of an idea..only to lose it because of something getting in between me and my keyboard..much of the time it is because I am lying down...sigh...You know it will come back to you at yet another inconvenient time..and if you are lucky, you will remember just enough to start..:) You have a chillin day too...

Sheldon said...

Do I detect a cat who has licked the fur off part of its body?

If so, I've got the same problem. The vet put the cat on a special allergen free cat food. But I didn't notice much of a difference. So I've gone back to Iams for fat cats.

So now the cat licks the hair off part of her belly and I use a flea comb most days on the rest of her. I've only seen a hair ball once or twice.

Of course, watching her lick the fur off her belly bothers me so I discourage it. The other problem is that I used to sometimes take the cat out in the backyard on a leash. But I've stopped doing that since she took up belly hair removal.