6/18/2010

Too Many Books: Not Enough Time (kids' choice of title)

Each year, the local friends of the library club holds its annual awesome sale, with thousands upon thousands of books for sale. I love it, adore it, wait all year for it. Usually, I wait until the last day, when it's $6 a BAGFUL! Last year, I made myself skip it. I had to. I'm overflowing with books. Overflowing. If you're a facebook friend, you've seen the photos of the bookcases; if you've been curious enough, you've looked at some of my other blogs and seen the Book Wealthy one, where, on a lark with Kathleen, we decided it'd be funny if I photographed my books and put them up. I've managed to get 20 shelves worth up; it's a drop in the bucket.

Today, on the first day of the sale, while the kids books are $1.25 an inch thick, the paperbacks are 75 cents and the hardbacks $1.75, all of us went off on what is usually just a me-and-the-boy adventure. It was grand. We had a blast. All of us, even Rick, had a great time exploring. Rick looked through music, tapes, dvds, games, keeping one of the girls entertained while the other girl and I looked through kids books and all the good nonfiction sections. The boy had a ball, found a bunch of Japanese anime. We spent every bit of the cash we'd brought along and got everything we saw that we wanted.

It's an excellent, slightly early birthday present for me (Tuesday I turn 42), and it made a nice turnaround from yesterday and the day before. Life is pretty darn good most of the time. And I'm reminded each and every day, that most of the time is entirely up to how we choose to handle things. We ate out Thursday night with the kids, their first time in a sit down and order restaurant ever for the girlies. They did well. They behaved well in the booksale, as well, where other kids did not. And isn't that a nice reminder? Neurotypicality doesn't mean kids are cooperative or well-behaved.

You'll note in this picture that most of the books are kid-focused; I actually got relatively few books. The kids made out like bandits (Bob's aren't pictured as he'd spirited them away to his room).

Getting our children out and about, accustomed to public places and having consistent demands placed on them for how they are to conduct themselves, is absolutely a vital and necessary component for them to ever be able to do it on their own. It takes some planning; it takes some prepping (and sometimes it takes some bribing), and not going at rush hour (we went early, 4-ish for dinner last night and early this morning to the sale), but we can, despite our children's challenges, help them have successful outings that excite them and make them want to try more new things.

Mabel, atop the booty

3 comments:

Chris said...

I also love going to the library foundation book sales! Ours have almost all books for $1, with them going to 50 cents on Sunday.

I go on the Friday evening before it officially starts because I donate to the library foundation. But I cannot imagine taking my oldest child there because of the crowding, chaos and noise. My husband came once to get some science fiction, but could not take the crowds. So it is only my daughter and myself going.

冠慧 said...

愛情不是慈善事業,不能隨便施捨。..................................................................

Roger Kulp said...

I usually get very disapointed if I go to one of those sales,and don't find something like a Johanna Martzy,a <a href="http://www.hipwax.com/sabu/sabubio.html>Sabu</a>,or at least one of the few remaining holes in my <a href=http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/series/prod_series?ID=WMNSTR>Westminster</a> collection.I stopped going to the ones here in Albuquerque a few years ago,when they stopped putting out vinyl,and began saving it all for people who can afford to donate more money to the library than I could to sort through before the "preview".

I don't think there is a cat lover out here who hasn't read "The Cat Who Went To Heaven" by now.Lovely little book.Recently found a couple of Eugene Field firsts at The Salvation Army.

Told you we had more in common than you thought.I'm also a big fan of the old Pokemon cartoons,too.