5/27/2010

An Endless Stream of Dumbasses (heavy dose of snark)

"But now that the deed is done, the fight has really begun. Autism was invented here, with the rise of organic mercury compounds in the 1930s, and here's where it took off when those exposures and others were recklessly multiplied many times over in the 1990s and today. This is the perfect time and place to end it. And as a parting shot to Andy and America's former overlords, the only phrase I can think of -- well, it rhymes with "Struck off"!"  --Dan Olmsted
I've stolen the title from Thelma; she had shared the title with me earlier and had gone off to nurse her Wild Turkey and think on it while I waited with baited breath to see what would come from her conversing with her muse, but then I read the above glaring stupidity and, well, Thelma waited too long.

No. Autism was not invented here.  For convenience sake, I'll refer to WebMD for this:

"Eugen Bleuler, a Swiss psychiatrist, was the first person to use the term. He started using it around 1911 to refer to one group of symptoms of schizophrenia.
In the 1940s, researchers in the United States began to use the term "autism" to describe children with emotional or social problems. Leo Kanner, a doctor from Johns Hopkins University, used it to describe the withdrawn behavior of several children he studied. At about the same time, Hans Asperger, a scientist in Germany, identified a similar condition that’s now called Asperger’s syndrome.
Autism and schizophrenia remained linked in many researchers’ minds until the 1960s. It was only then that medical professionals began to have a separate understanding of autism in children."

Right, invented here, my rather ample posterior. And invented at the same time in Germany, too. Dude, you cowrote a history on autism?

Wait, Andy insists it was the frakking measles component of the MMR, right? So, he's happy to embrace your thimerosal crap? I know, the monkeys, the monkeys. Andy will embrace anything that has dollar signs and sainthood no doubt.  How do you explain the continued increase in diagnoses worldwide despite the removal of thimerosal, Olmsted?

Onto the rest of your rant: How are you going to end it, Olmsted? And exactly what are you going to end? Any lingering shreds of credibility you once had? Sorry, that's long gone and done. So is Wakefield's.

Ummm, dude, I'm gonna screen capture it because when you realize you slipped and told Andy to fuck off, essentially: "And as a parting shot to Andy and America's former overlords, the only phrase I can think of -- well, it rhymes with 'Struck off"!'", well that's frakking priceless, and I want to make sure I have it:


Uh, Dan, I think you meant FOR Andy. Hah. Freudian slip or what?

Thelma, no doubt, will understand that the title for this post just had to be used. Had to be. Absolutely no choice. I'd join her in a toast of the Wild Turkey, but I don't drink. I think I'll have some chocolate and chuckle over this little stumble of Olmsted's instead.

3 comments:

kathleen said...

hahahahahaha! I think Andy and dan have been ummm strucking off with their monkeys..

Science Mom said...

"And as a parting shot for Andy and to America's former overlords, the only phrase I can think of -- well, it rhymes with 'Struck off"!'"

Shouldn't it be this? But it still sounds as though he is fucking off Andy. Oh well, it's Olmstead, expectations don't run very high there now do they?

And Bleuler, that guy never gets any cred so thanks for mentioning him. Oh, if you click on my link, I have a picture at the end you will enjoy Kim.

Joseph said...

There's an even earlier reference. Langdon Down in "Mental Affections of Childhood and Youth" (1887) describes what are clearly autistic children.

Dr. Down had some amazing insights as well, such as:

"Parents always prefer to refer the case to a post-uterine or non-congenital origin, partly because they think it frees them from the suspicion of hereditary influence, and partly from a notion that the child is more likely to be restored to its pristine state."