2/22/2010

Bandwagon: The Obligatory Wakefield Speaks Post

Yesterday, AoA finally broke the post-Wakefield resignation/firing/removal/tail-between-his-legs slink off silence. ScienceMom and Catherina's Justthevax blog was the first one I read covering AoA's coverage. Autism Nostrum writes about it beautifully and boldly. I love the "Age of Woo"! Orac covers it well.

With three capable blogposts on the subject, what's left to say? :-)

Okay, let's see. So Wakefield, according to Dan "I wouldn't know facts any better than Wakefield knows ethic if they bit me in the butt" Olmstead writes that Wakefield is moving into "a new phase of leadership in the autism community." Oy. First things first. I have always had an extreme distate for how they misrepresent the autism community as being squarely behind Wakefield. With over 1.5 million autistic people in the US alone, do you really think the autism community is squarely behind Wakefield other than to better aim their collective kicks towards his ass?

A fringe group of desperate parents turned sycophantic cult-following we're-not-worthies lap up Wakefield's nonsense as if it were manna from heaven. Just read the comments at AoA if you don't think that's an accurate rendering of the state of comments. These people are delusional. Couple the Wakefield's-so-dreamy-crowd with the rant yesterday by our favorite whine-fest mess and those accompanying wacky and threatening (planes, anyone?) comments and you've got a clear case for there not being much of a case left for the AoA crowd being anything other than akin to 9-11 Truthers, holocaust denying flat-earthers. In other words, they have spent their credibility.

 Wow. One cup of coffee and I really don't pull very many punches, do I? You want an even better let-me-tell-you-how-I-really-feel post? Go read Autism Nostrum! :-)

4 comments:

Science Mom said...

That's the second time you mentioned planes, you'll have to clue me in. You know, if it wasn't for keeping him mentioned, it would be entertaining to see how he is going to appeal the GMC ruling. Aw hell, it's going to be entertaining anyway.

KWombles said...

http://www.ageofautism.com/2010/02/where-is-our-help-mr-president.html?cid=6a00d8357f3f2969e201310f25522e970c#comment-6a00d8357f3f2969e201310f25522e970c

Bensmyson on AoA makes a "joke" that falls way flat regarding how it's a good thing he doesn't know how to fly planes (in connection with Engler's "letter"). It should never have made it past Stagliano's moderation. EVER.

Science Mom said...

Oh my, although I have seen worse as I'm sure you have. They aren't going to moderate their own; they can't afford any more schisms.

AutismNewsBeat said...

That was so entertaining, I read it twice. You're on a roll, girlfriend!