12/15/2009

Let Bitterness Not Destroy Us, Let Rage Not Feed on Us: We Rise


I was reading the piece by Sullivan on the tragedy concerning Sky and his mother, and commented the following in response to David's call to once again go to the google news complaint:

The steady diet that AoA feeds of entries that outrage have the cumulative effect of numbing the reader. Right before the piece that AoA ran on autism killing you, it ran an essay about how much autism makes you give up. I touched on them briefly at http://counteringageofautism.blogspot.com/2009/12/just-when-youre-pretty-sure-theyve-gone.html.

Certainly, David, we can go to the google news complaint, and I'm all for it, all for exposing to the harsh light of day the inappropriateness of many if not all of their posts, but it can get discouraging to read their negativity and skewed view of the world.

I encourage folks, who like I do monitor AoA, to then go to a parent or autistic adult's blog who copes adaptively, who finds the good in the midst of the challenges and comment on their blog about how much you appreciate their work. It is the perfect cleansing thing to do after too much time spent reading bitterness, despair and rage twisted into something that boggles the mind and hurts the heart.


This is the perfect comment to swing us into the next in this week's series: the perfect antidote when your heart is breaking from the time spent reading Age of Autism or some of their loyal readers' blogs.

There are people out there who manage to cope adaptively, not perfectly, but not mired into the bitterness and rage.

Maya Angelou

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

I'll focus on the young women today whose blogs I go to when I need to be uplifted. Their lives aren't easy, things aren't perfect, and yet, like Maya Angelou, they rise. They move forward. They write; they vent, they breathe and live and grow. They want better for themselves, better for others. They are our new autistic adult generation and they have survived what many parents of younger autistics worry about. Why are their voices not sought out? Why is their input not solicited? Why are their voices not respected?

In no particular order (and most of them are represented in my blog list) are the young autistic women I read and I admire:


Stephanie Lynn Keil, artist and poet


Nightstorm the AspieWolf, advocate for better treatment of autistics, both as children and adults

Sarah, autistic self-advocate

Lindsey ** can't find the link right now --thanks, Kathleen!**


Note: this focuses on the 20 somethings and younger women. Future posts will focus on the men, both young and mature, and the women, mature, who live and breathe what too many parents in their ignorance would have not be. We'll also look at the parents who reject the AoA whine fest. And we'll pick back up and look at the parents who have stayed stuck.

If I have missed some wonderful female bloggers who are twenty-somethings and on the spectrum, please link below. I know Lindsey's link is in my blog list, but  that list is getting long and I can't locate it, so someone point it out to me, please!

5 comments:

kathleen said...

http://autistscorner.blogspot.com/

yes these women are so diverse-individual, so interesting to read. As a parent, I appreciate what they say-I appreciate being given a glimpse into their lives. I appreciate their advocacy-Their voices are paving the way for my children. Anyone who lives on the steady diet of gloom and despair that AoA offers, would do themselves a world of good by going to these blogs-it would do their children even better.

KWombles said...

Thanks, will hyperlink. :-)

You're darn straight it would.

NightStorm The Aspiewolf said...

Th-thank you so much for mentioning. You give me courage to walk forward Kim thank you.

KWombles said...

Hugs to you, Nightstorm. Anytime you need support, just remember I've got your back. :-)

Corina Becker said...

I just noticed this. Thanks.

(oh good, you got both my online journal and my activism blog :D)


Also, I'll tell you when the Autism Women's Network website is up and running. We're almost into beta testing :D