12/08/2009

Countering Countering Offit --I Sense a Mega-Crush in the Making

I want to be juvenile and write Stagliano and Offit sittting a tree... but Anne Daschel or Handley might get seriously jealous that I left them out.

I mean, here AoA is claiming to be autism's daily newspaper (or was that just an edgy blog?), but day after day they go after Offit like he was a hamburger and they were Wimpy. Or like they were me going after Age of Autism. What's up with that, really?

"As much as I'd like to think that 28% of the American population reads Age of Autism and visits our sponsors' sites, I can assure you that's not the case. Your message has failed. Think Shakespeare, Dr. Offit. Too much protest." writes Stagliano.

Sure, the masses may not read Age of Autism (ain't that a relief?), but they read Mercola and other natural news-type websites that promote fear of medicine and vaccines but not fear of their natural, better products. I'm sure that makes up for the difference more than adequately.

I'm not sure what you prove by making Offit the main thing you rail against. Trying to rally the troops? To what end, I wonder.

I like the anthrax bit, too. Now, not only has Stagliano managed to link the sexual abuses perpetrated by priests in the Catholic church to Offit, she's linking the image of if there's ever an anthrax attack, it will be Offit's fault no one gets vaccinated and thus dies from anthrax. I think these two images, coupled with the blog post they had to pull shows the depths that AoA will go to.

7 comments:

cawill said...

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today?

Oh wait....it is Tuesday....damn.

AutismNewsBeat said...

Offit was interviewed on Skepchek a few weeks ago, and he said this:

"Those who don't like me can't argue with what I say with science that contradicts what I say so they choose to attack me. This has nothing to do with me. I generally don't do the studies. I simply try to educate the public about them."

Kimmy's rant is a classic case of transference. It's not Offit she loathes, it's her own maladaptive coping strategies, and the fact that the science doesn't support her beliefs. But since she can't attack the science, or adapt to changing circumstances, she goes after Offit.

Corina Becker said...

You're right, AoA seems to be quite fixated on Offit these days, to the point where I'm tempted to say that it's become an obsession.
And of course, obsessions are one of the characteristics of being autistic...

Liz Ditz said...

They are also getting all upset about the Novella & Offit interview being on NPR.)

Except it isn't.

It's a podcast (that also has been a radio broadcast) from the SETI Institute.

http://radio.seti.org/episodes/Skeptic_Check_Vaccines_Give_Em_Your_Best_Shot

I've posted 3 comments indicating the above, but of course none have been approved.

Sullivan said...

Liz,

the good people at the Age of Autism would sooner vaccinate their children than admit a mistake.

Kim, does it bug you to share the same first name as Ms. Stagliano? This is one of the strangest logical leaps I have seen in a while. That's saying a lot from someone who reads the Age of Autism blog, where logical leaps are standard.

KWombles said...

Liz, thanks for the information. :-)

Sullivan, when the title to Orac's blog came up on my blogroll I was taken aback, trying to figure out what the heck I'd done!

Mom26children said...

Mrs. Stagliano is nothing more than a woman who needs attention...and a lot of it.
She feeds off of the minion who think the way she does.
Instead of basking in the beauty of her 3 amazing daughters, she has taken the road to playing martyr to their autism.
I feel very sad for her. One day, she will realize that if she had treated her daughters as "normal" from the beginning...they would be much further along than the biomedical approach she has chosen.
How do I know this?
I am the mother of 5 autistic children. When I stopped looking at the autism and focused on the child...I saw the potential they have. Amazing kids they are. I am so blessed to have been chosen to be their mom...

Christmas time makes me mushy...sorry!!!