6/11/2009

AoA and its predisposition for never-ending stupidity

"Dr. Baron - Cohen - I don't believe in this "genetic predisposition" crap being floated out there. Autism is an vaccine induced illness period. Autism is alarming and never gets missed. For God's sake even my dog gives my son funny looks for the way he acts. Geez, kids with autism do not get missed."

http://www.ageofautism.com/2009/06/managing-editors-note-thank-you-to-dr-baron-cohen-for-responding-to-anne-dachels-open-letter-to-him-here-we-need-to-be.html?cid=6a00d8357f3f2969e2011570f602ad970b#comment-6a00d8357f3f2969e2011570f602ad970b


I'm gonna go out on a snide limb and guess the dog, would but that it could read, would be looking at this person funny, as well. And feeling for the kid.



"It seems very strange that the "professionals" of the past were unable to tell that children who could not talk, children who could not participate in a classroom, children who were tantrumming as teenagers or banging their head against the wall, were "ignored" and "undiagnosed"."


http://www.ageofautism.com/2009/06/managing-editors-note-thank-you-to-dr-baron-cohen-for-responding-to-anne-dachels-open-letter-to-him-here-we-need-to-be.html?cid=6a00d8357f3f2969e2011570f602ad970b#comment-6a00d8357f3f2969e2011570f602ad970b


Prior to 1975, school districts had no legal responsibility to educate special needs students. They were not, unless high functioning enough, in the school system. They were in special schools or in institutions. They were diagnosed with mental retardation.

6 comments:

kathleen said...

How oddly appropriate for my day..."Autism is alarming and never gets missed"???? My three year old was diagnosed with aspergers today...I've never been alarmed by her-nor have my three dogs ever looked at her funny...They do however look at me funny...what does that mean??

KWombles said...

It must mean you are an extremely amusing woman, and your dogs are highly intelligent and recognize this. :-)

Does this make three of the four on the spectrum, or was it finally getting the official confirmation (if you don't mind me asking)?

You have my empathy for the battles you will face, but we both know that we are blessed with unique, fascinating bundles of contradictions, so I don't offer sympathy as it would piss me off if someone said that to me about my kids. They're mine and I'm darn proud of who they are. Even when they are being incredibly difficult little beings. They're not doing it intentionally. I know that you are darn proud of your brood, as well. So you have my hugs for what had to be difficult, even when you knew it was coming, and my support that we will change the world and make it a better, safer, more appreciative place for our children.

kathleen said...

actually, a part of me feels kind of silly for not recognizing it sooner..(yeah it is 3 of the 4)It is like I kind of suspected something was up...she just fit in so well with everyone...I didn't really think to question her. But, really what has changed? nothing. She is still the same wild girlie girl...Funny, when I came out of the eval. room and told Omar ...we both burst out laughing..and it was a good laughter.
We sure are going to change the world-we WILL make a positive place for all of our kids...All this diagnosis has done was to make me even more determined-Thanks for the support :)

KWombles said...

Kathleen,

I'm glad it was a good laughter. You're right, it doesn't change anything; she's the same child she was before.

For all my experience with my oldest, it took longer than it should have to realize it with both girls. I recognized their differences and difficulties and started intervention early on, but it wasn't until two years ago when the littlest one was three that we used the words autism/Asperger's concerning either girl and set about getting official confirmation and help from the school. They are so much higher functioning than their brother, so smart, so funny, so engaging when they feel comfortable and in their element, that it was difficult to see there was a problem until you put them with neurotypical peers. And then, if you really want to see it, vary the routine when they are in that grouping. Boy, then it comes out in spades. ;-)

Here's to a world that celebrates neural diversity and sees quirkiness as a special gift!


Our motto: Issues, multitudinous and many, I've got issues, but that's okay, because you've got issues, too.

kathleen said...

Carpe issues!

Joseph said...

Autism routinely gets missed, and it was missed in the past a lot more often than today. It's very ignorant to state otherwise.